Tuesday, March 28, 2006

...I gotta wear shades.

So, a lot of people in the public service seem to be stressed a lot of the time. I’m really not sure why. You know how something happens and you think you might have missed something? I’ve been here for about three months now, and I can’t really see what there is to be stressed about. Have I not been here long enough, or have I missed that meeting?

It reminds of a time I was in Melbourne on holidays and went shopping at a supermarket near the city. I looked around and saw that each of the people in front of me had a packet of toilet paper – you know the ones with 9 rolls? Then I looked further around. Every person I saw had toilet paper…everyone! It was freaking me out! Had I missed something? Was there some news story only I hadn’t seen? Was the world ending? And if so, what use would lots of toilet paper be?...
Anyway, that’s what working in the public service is like so far. It’s actually a lot of fun.


And I can hear the career public servants in the next cubicle talking about how the new IR laws are a good thing. “If you do a good days work for a good days pay, what have you got to worry about?” they say. “My husband negotiates his contract now”.
And “I don’t think small business people will just find someone who will accept worse pay and conditions, they’re not like that”

Holy shit, Batman! What kind of a fantasy world are these people living in! And how does working in a place for the last twenty years (where, incidentally, the new laws don’t apply – lucky them) give you a perspective on casual, low paid workers?

Anyway, that’s enough soapboxing for one day. Time to flex off and have a long lunch. Suckers…;)

2 Comments:

At 3:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those toilet paper packages actually have 10 rolls. There may have been a simple explanation - a reeeaallly good special. No fun in that though.

It is my firm conviction - based on about as much analysis and as many facts as you may often bring to subjects - that most people try to rationalise their stupidity. Thus, they voted for honest john and now they have to believe that his idiocy is sensible. So we throw out a system that has worked pretty well for 100 years, and has been the envy of the world, replacing it with something that the seppos have demonstrated is less than useful.

I guess though that it all depends on your perspective. We small business people will like sacking staff - if we can ever afford them and if they are supporters of a little johnny. Now that would be a nice turn of events, eh!

 
At 9:42 am, Blogger Nabla said...

Dunno what sort of toilet paper you have been buying, but clearly those ones have 9 rolls - 3x3. Not that I use that much toilet paper. Just enough, then, as an uncle of mine once said, a shower, casue a shower is like a big bidet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home